/* */

Speeding Ticket

Traffic Attorney in Kansas City, MO

  • What can I do now?
    You must call an attorney now in order to know your rights and avoid potentially losing your license. You can contact my office by phone (913.342.3279) or by email. If you do not act now, you may not be able to keep the points off your license.
  • How long do I have to take care of the ticket?
    In Missouri, your ticket may have been issued by the State Highway Patrol or Sheriff, or by a City Police Officer. If your received a ticket from the Highway Patrol or Sheriff, you probably also received a payment schedule from the fine collection center in Jefferson City (FCC). If you decide to plead guilty, you have 30 days to pay the amount on the fine schedule, or to request a “not guilty” court date. If you plead guilty and pay the fine, three points will be assessed against your Missouri driver’s license. In order to keep the points off your license, you MUST request your “not guilty” court date within 30 days. An attorney can do this for you.

    If your Missouri ticket is from a city court, it may include a court date, as well as a fine amount. You must either pay this amount before the due date, or appear on the court date. Whether you receive a city or state ticket, you should contact an attorney as soon as you get the ticket in order to assure that your rights are protected, and everything is done to keep the moving violation off your record.

    If you do nothing, a warrant will be issued for your arrest, and your driver’s license may be suspended.

  • Will it affect my driving privilege?
    If you are found guilty for a Missouri state speeding ticket, three points will be assessed against your driver’s license. After you reach 6 points in Missouri, you will receive a warning notice from the state, and if you accrue 8 points, you will lose your license. In city courts, most speeding tickets are 2 point violations.
    Download the Missouri Point System Violation Table.
  • Will it increase the cost of my automobile insurance?
    Each insurance company is different, but most will consider your driving record when setting your premium. Many will give special discounts for drivers with good or perfect driving records. In order to qualify for those discounts, you must keep moving violations off your record.
  • How can an attorney help me?
    An attorney is necessary in order to have your speeding ticket reduced to a non-moving or no-point violation. In most cases, the ticket can be handled without your appearance in court. In some cases, the prosecutor will not amend the ticket, perhaps based on speed or driving record. An experienced attorney will know each prosecutor’s amendment policies, and will be able to tell you if your ticket can be “fixed”.